Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 246- 50's housewife dress

So I thought i'd better break steer away from the blackboard cut outs for a few days at least!

Today's project is to make a dress using some of those great vintage fabrics that were kindly donated to me a few weeks back! I have based the pattern on my favourite dress which i bought some time back, its sort of "1950's housewife style", and I love it!

My old dress and the new pattern
I started pulling out all the vintage fabrics and realised I was going to have to mix and match panels as I did not have enough of any one fabric

I chose this bold 60's floral for the bodice
 I cut up an old stripey skirt for the front of the dress (keeping the pocket as a feature)
 Then cut the waistband out of this super bold blue (which is also from an old skirt)
it took me nearly 4 hours to cut all of these pieces out! the dress is fulling lined and faced, so lots of pattern pieces
there was not quite enough stripes for the back of the dress, so i have cut another floral (see below)
I think it still works with all these mis-matched fabrics because of the blue colour palette on all of them.
After 4hrs of cutting and then 3 of sewing there is still probably another hour left to finish attaching the lining and the zip, so i will save that for tomorrow's post.
It really does make you appreciate being able to buy a basic item from target or k-mart for $10 or $20 when you actually make a whole garment from scratch.... It really does take alot of time and effort!

Craft out folks
xxoo





No comments: