Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 192-come on baby light my slide

I have been planning this project for awhile now, so I am really excited to share it with you!
At the start of the year I was rummaging at a local trash and treasure market and came across three boxes filled with old slides. I was super excited and knew straight away I would make a lamp shade out of them. The slides are travel pics from all around the world, they look like a series of professional slides that might have been used for lectures or classes of some kind. Check out one of the boxes below, each of the little bundles wrapped separately are for a different country, with little hand written notes listing place/year. They are great!

 I purchased a plain lamp/lamp shade and took the fabric off the metal frame.
I decided to join the slides by punching holes in all four corners and then linking these with silver metal loops (from "Theo's Craft Supplies")
I had to make a little template out of cardboard to ensure the holes were always punched in the same spot 
(see the template at the bottom of this picture below)
 I was really glad I found these little metal loops, because initially I tried cutting pieces of wire and threading them thru the holes and twisting them with the pliers, this took forever and looked really messy!!
 one row complete, 9 more to go
 all the holes punched
 a close up of the joins
 the sheet of slides are attached, now to join this to the metal lamp shade
 I initially held the slides in place with some masking tape at the top all the way around, and then slowly attached the metal loops thru the top row of holes in the slides and then to the metal lamp frame.
I forgot to mention after I punched the holes in each of the slides I also bent each slide softly in the middle and rounded each of the cards so that they were all curved in one direction, that is how they sit nicely in the circular motion around the wire frame.
 I haven't worked out how to finish the top off yet, its too bright without anything on it. 
On the picture below I just cut out a piece of baking paper and placed some slides on top to see what it would look like.
 All the pictures on these slides are Australian travel shots, pictures from all over, they look like they are from the 6o's.
There are some really funny one's including a white guy in his 50's throwing a boomerang with a fag hanging out of his mouth!! ha ha ha!! 
 more politically incorrectness with the slides labeled
"immigrant picks fruit"
 It looks good on my bookshelf, as you can see still a little bright though... I need to work out how to finish off the top.

Well that was a big post!!!
I hope you enjoyed the project!
until tomorrow
Craft Out!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

that is a REALLY nifty idea!

Angela said...

This is so clever! The little metal loops give a really neat finish - it looks great!

Leona McKenry said...

very clever! Perhaps a transparent filter for the light on top to finish it off?? It could be easily cut to shape...

Anonymous said...

I love this! It's so clever!

365 days of craft said...

This is one of my favourite projects from the year! its fun to get away from the sewing every now and again and explore more the DIY angle. Also I love working with light, lighting can create such a change in atmosphere