Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 212-Guest blogger Mondays welcomes Aunty Jude!


This week's guest blogger is my beautiful Aunty Judy! Below is her DIY project...

Hi, my name is Judy and I am Bron's Aunty living on Mt Tamborine in 
the Gold Coast hinterland. We have lived in this house for 8 years 
and I have wanted to change the look of the kitchen for that whole 
time, so I decided to start with the windows which frame a fantastic 
view to the coast. The venetian blinds were never used so I really 
just wanted to "dress" the windows. I guess this is more a DIY home 
reno that craft but it was fun and pretty easy!
Before....


Firstly we measured the width of the window frames and headed out to 
purchase rods, fittings and to decide on the fabric.
My original idea was to just do a simple "swag" draped around the rod 
but as with some of Bron's craft projects sometimes turns out 
differently!
I decided I would need double the width of the window in material to 
get enough for the draping and found a soft cotton in a 140cm width.





I had wisely invited my Mum (Bron's Grandma) and her sewing machine 
down for the weekend, thinking two heads would be better than one!



My Grandma Norms gets crafty!



Once we returned home my other half kindly attached the rods to the window 
frames and G'ma and I got into the project.
Basically we were making a tube of fabric to drape around the rod.
We cut the fabric according to the window widths and realised we 
could get 2 lots of 80cm width thereby giving us 4 times the width of 
the window frames.


sew each side of the tube of fabric, 
 leaving a decent size gap to pull thru
 the right way when finished



I then decided to taper the ends, so turned it back inside out and 
measured a 90 degree angle at each end,cut and sewed again and pulled 
back through.


This must have been where the original idea went out the window as no 
photo's were taken of the "swag" which just did not look right and I 
think the reason being that the rods were too narrow, that look 
really needs a solid wooden rod to look good.
Returning to the drawing board we unpicked a small opening at the 
top of each "taper" wide enough for the rod to fit through and tried that...


Hmm, not too bad but needed finishing touches, so we cut scraps of 
leftover material and sewed some ties


They did not have to be neat just functional and a little bit rustic
And Voila!



You can view our home on Homeforexchange.com (ID 39416), we are 
looking for an exchange in January 2012 to attend Bron's wedding in 
Melbourne.

Craft out folks
xxoo

No comments: