Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 224-turning a t-shirt into a bag

Today I had the best intentions of getting up early and making a good head start on the next week of craft projects........  but in reality
I got up at 11.30am
Started sewing by 1pm
and continued working on two bags from 1pm-7.30pm.... and they are still not finished!
They are looking good though! I just kept deciding to add things like appliques, lining, interfacing etc...
ughhhh the earlier enthusiasm has worn off!
So below are the two bags so far, I will hopefully complete them tomorrow!


I started with some black drill fabric and an old tote bag of mine which is a great shape
I made a pattern using newspaper (as I have run out of my roll of craft paper)
 me cutting out the pattern
 I wanted to use the prints from these two "hello kitty" t-shirts as the front feature on the bags
 these are samples I purchased from work earlier in the year which have cuts in them
from here I cut out the bag shape from the drill
and then cut the front print out of the t-shirt
I had two different applique techniques I wanted to try out
the first one is as follows...

cut iron on interfacing to help support the print
iron the interfacing on
then position the print where you want it to sit on the bag (on the wrong side of the bag)
use my trusty Brother machine to zig zag stitch the edges
 zig zag stitch to the wrong side of the bag (print facing out to the right side)
 flip over to the right side where you are left with a picture frame view of the zig zag stitching
and then carefully cut the middle out revealing the print inside the zig zag frame
I ended up zig zag stitching around the edge again just to ensure it would not fray
for the side seams I have matched up some stripey fabric that works well with the print colours
 its starting to take shape
then I decided... well Ive gone to THIS much effort, I may as well interface the lining to make the bag more sturdy
 see the lining can stand by itself with the facing attached
 insert the lining
the other bag is at the same point
I will have to finish them both off tomorrow as its turned out to take alot longer than i expected!
red hello kitty t-shirt
 for this applique i just interfaced it and placed it on top of the fabric before zig zag stitching around it
it was much quicker and easier like this
 red sides
 the bag so far!!
MEEEOOOOOWWWWW OUT
crafty cats
xxoo



1 comment:

bowerman said...

lOVE THE BAGS THEY LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!XOOX