Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 135-back to craft at home

Its been a very lazy day attempting to recover from the jet-lag, and my mind has turned to my wedding dress. We have finally set the date for Jan 28th next year, even though it is still 7-8 months away, I figured that I should get started on trialling and toulling my dress.
I have already purchased the fabric and I have the design all set out in my head, I just need to take the biggest and hardest step of all! and get STARTED!!
So tonight I have made a fabric rose out of the silk dupion, I plan to make a whole bunch of fabric roses to cover various parts of the dress and these will be a variety of sizes a varying hues of ivory and gold.

some of the fabric
cut out the pattern
fold down the centre and iron the right sides together
stitch the straight end together
bag it out
then stitch a gathering stitch approx 4 length
ensure to leave long threads either end for the gathering process
start the gathering process at the curved end (pull the bottom thread) only do this for a few stitches to get this end started, then tie off this end. 
go back to the other end and use the same bottom thread to gather the rest of the flower.
You will notice the flower starts to curve into the smaller end, this is good and helps to create the flower shape.
gather the rough edges in with your hands until it looks like a rose
hand stitch to keep it in place
I love the slightly varied hues of gold/ivory silk against each other

Okay, so a long way to go on the dress... but I have pulled the fabric out, started thinking about it,,, and made one rose....
Back to work tomorrow...

Craft out
xxoo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Bron, you can already see that your dress is going to be beautiful.